Monday, November 28, 2016

Week Three

I read three comic strips this week. Two being somewhat similar and one being vastly different:


Peanuts

There is a clear idea as to what Schultz wanted to accomplish with Peanuts and I think he did it flawlessly. He wanted to show how awful it was to be a kid -- specifically, the underdog. The kid everyone either doesn't like, or grows to not like. He also wanted to communicate just how shitty kids could be. It's a concept that targets a large demographic. Many people often feel like the underdog and this was a strip that they could connect with.

Calvin and Hobbs

I've always had a thing for this strip. Originally, it was to read about the funny, smart-talking kid. Later on, it was reflect on how smart it was. It illustrates now only the quirks of childhood, but I believe it also shows just how smart kids really are. Kids have some real complex and deep thoughts now and then and I think, like some adults do with their kids, they take Calvin and Hobbs for granted.

Little Nemo

This just doesn't do it for me. I'm sorry. It must've been a fantastic story to read throughout the years back then, but it has little appeal for me today. I tip my hat to the creator for choosing a dream world. This allows for him to have all kinds of adventures and gives the strip infinite possibilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment